Wednesday 24 March 2021

Work Out of the Day - This one will have you lying on the floor, saying "WHY?!"

 Friends, 



I love me a good workout. I especially love workouts where I'm lying on the floor afterwards, asking myself why I decided to workout in the first place! Why do I love these types of workouts? Because these workouts mean PROGRESS. Workouts are supposed to be hard. If they were easy, then you wouldn't be increasing your heart rate, helping to clear any plaque build up, or helping the heart muscle stay strong, which is essential to good health.

Not only do challenging workouts work the physical body into better health, but these hard workouts increase oxygen to the brain, causing the release of serotonin, the feel-good hormone. With the release of serotonin, you spend the next few hours or days feeling good and who doesn't want that?!

As always, if you are new to High-Intensity Exercise, consult your medical practitioner before beginning this program.

This Work Out of the Day is a 20 minute HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). Complete each exercise for 20 seconds, with a 10 second rest in between. Complete each round 4 times, for a total of 4 minutes per round. You can download timers to help with this on android and Iphones. I use an app called "Interval Timer", that I downloaded from the App Store for free.

You need dumbbells for this exercise. A yoga mat is useful, but not necessary.

Ok, let's go!

Round 1: Jumping Jacks/Side Lunges - One side at a time; So, on interval one do right leg side lunges, interval two do left leg side lunges, etc.

Round 2: Dumbbell snatch left arm/right arm - Here is a video demonstrating how to do this exercise. Note: You do not need a heavy dumbbell for this. I used an 8lb dumbbell as the focus is more on the deep squat for this exercise.

Round 3: Mountain Climbers/Scissor Kicks - Here is a video demonstrating scissor kicks. I prefer to put my hands behind my head and elevate my upper back off the floor for more intensity.

Round 4: Plank Hold/Bicycle Crunches - With the plank hold, you can either complete on your hands for a high plank, or on your forearms for a low plank. Today, I alternated between the two. Don't forget to SQUEEZE those legs and bum to really gain impact.

Round 5: Boat Pose Hold/Forward Jump Squat with Run Back -Here is an image of boat pose. For lower intensity, place your hands on the underside of your thighs and hold, but don't pull. For higher intensity, complete the full boat pose. Here is a video for the forward jump squat. With the run back, jog back four steps and then repeat the jump.

This WOD is sure to get your heart pumping and muscles feeling the HEAT! Have fun and let me know how it goes in the comments below!


Health and Happiness, 

Hollie

No comments:

Post a Comment

WOD + Fat as a pre-workout meal

 Happy Monday, Friends! Today's WOD is a great upper body workout, with a good dose of cardio mixed in! Before we get into the WOD, I wa...